Here’s What Can Be Done to Improve Website Conversion Rates
Do you know what your website conversion rates is? There are many actions that a website or blog may want a visitor to take once on the page. It is the conversion rates of these desired actions that you want to calculate.
Lets look at some the typical conversion rates that need to be calculated and what can be done to improve them.
1. The Sales Conversion Rates. This gives you an idea of how many visitors are buying a product compared to the total number of visitors that visit you site.
The sales conversion rate = number who bought / total number of visitors x 100
If you have 10,000 visitors in the month and out of that, 350 bought your product, your conversion rate is:
350 / 10000 x 100 = 3.5%
This means that for every 200 visitors that land at your site 7 buy your product.
How to Improve the Sales Conversion Rate
1. Make navigation through your site to your order page so simple a ten year old can find it.
2. Make bold call to actions. Example, BUY NOW, or ORDER HERE.
3. If you offer free shipping indicate this at your home page and prominently on your sales page. Research has shown that free shipping is the second most important consideration for buyers apart from price.
4. Your web page should load fast. Imagine a potential customer clicking to your order page with the intention to buy only to be frustrated by a slow loading page. The importance of fast loading pages cannot be over-emphasized. Some of the ways to reduce loading time are:
a. Reduce the number of graphics on your page. Apart from the number, you can also reduce the size of the graphics.
b. Always specify the dimensions of your graphics in your html coding. In your IMG tag be sure to specify the width and height of your graphics. This makes it easy for the web browser to load the page because it doesn’t have to figure out the dimensions of the graphics.
5. Experiment with different colors on your pages. Measure and track the result of any little change you make. It has been reported that change in the color of a page layout increased conversion rate.
6. Do not use Pop-ups for displaying your vital information, such as, your shipping rates. Though pop-ups can be effective in drawing attention to vital information, it is not worth taking the chance. With all the free Popup blockers offered by most toolbars and software companies, it will be counter productive to display your vital information in a Popup only to have it blocked. Displaying information in Pop-ups could seriously reduce your conversion rate.
7. Unless checkout takes three steps or less, include a progress indicator on each page to your order page so that your customer knows at what stage he is. You can number the pages or steps and clearly describe each step so that the customer can easily move back and forth through your pages.
8. Make it automatic so that when the shipping info is the same as the billing info, the customer doesn’t have to fill the same information twice.
9. Because of credit card concerns, not all customers want to order using credit cards. Offer other forms of payment, such as Paypal.
10. Display critical information at the check out page. Information like warranties, guarantees, shipping costs, testimonials, return policies, after sales service, support service are important.
11. Develop a process whereby if a visitor abandons the checkout process for whatever reason after providing an email address, you immediately email the visitor offering an incentive to tell why the process was not completed.
12. If you are selling tangible product, use high quality pictures. Since the visitor cannot touch or smell the product, it is essential to provide a top quality picture that looks like the physical product.
13. Include the number of days the customer has to wait for the order to ship. If possible provide tracking of the order.
All these help to make the customer comfortable, and helps you close the sale. These are a few steps to improve your website conversion rates.
Thanks for reading. Follow @dmcreative on Twitter, Like us on Facebook. When you reply, get a backlink that promotes visitors to your site as our appreciation for your comment.